[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

John Hearns hearnsj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 22:10:11 PDT 2020

This has been a great discussion. Please keep it going.

To the points on technical debt, may I also add re-validation?
Let's say you have a weather model which your institute has been running
for 20 years.
If you decide to start again from fresh with code in a new language you are
going to have to re-run known models
and debate whether or not they fit within error bounds of the old model.
That takes effort - which may of course be justified if you make gains in
speed, flexibility or being able to use new hardware like GPUs.