[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

Lux, Jim (US 7140) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 14 21:09:47 PDT 2020

Well, maybe a Beowulf cluster of yugos…

From: Beowulf <beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org> on behalf of Oddo Da <oddodaoddo at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 4:15 PM
To: Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4 at gmail.com>, "beowulf at beowulf.org" <beowulf at beowulf.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Beowulf] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

Michael, thank you, you have given me quite a lot to think about.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:28 PM Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4 at gmail.com<mailto:mdidomenico4 at gmail.com>> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:07 PM Oddo Da <oddodaoddo at gmail.com<mailto:oddodaoddo at gmail.com>> wrote:
<snip>

i think the stuck state you're interpreting is a misrepresentation
that HPC is full of stodgy greybeards who only want to run MPI code
written in 1970's fortran.  i don't think that's the case anymore.
HPC has branched out and includes a lot of ancillary paths, but it
still holds onto its heritage, which is something I appreciate.  HPC
has never been about flash, it's about solving the world's hardest
problems.  You don't always need a porsche, sometimes a yugo works
just as well