[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

Oddo Da oddodaoddo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 04:07:44 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 1:11 AM John Hearns <hearnsj at gmail.com> wrote:

> This has been a great discussion. Please keep it going.

I am all out of ammo ;). In all seriousness, it is not easy to ask these
questions because it kind of can be interpreted as offensive - in a
nutshell, people may perceive what I am asking as "what have y'all been
doing for 20 years? Nothing?".

> To the points on technical debt, may I also add re-validation?
> Let's say you have a weather model which your institute has been running
> for 20 years.
> If you decide to start again from fresh with code in a new language you
> are going to have to re-run known models
> and debate whether or not they fit within error bounds of the old model.
> That takes effort - which may of course be justified if you make gains in
> speed, flexibility or being able to use new hardware like GPUs.

I understand all this but, of course, not everything has to do what has
been done. Hopefully, there are plenty of people entering the field or
coming back to it, without any technical debt.