[Beowulf] LFortran ... a REPL/Compiler for Fortran

Stu Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 08:15:36 PDT 2019

pffft... I should wheel out my fortran scripting language (shell entirely
written in fortran).

Dynamically allocated arrays and variables, if/then/else, loops...

most of the fortran syntax...

all good stuff...

was never used...

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:42 PM Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:07:00 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Hmm, how does this compare to Flang
> ><https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang>?
> >
> >On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 12:33 PM Joe Landman <joe.landman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> See https://docs.lfortran.org/ .   Figured Jeff Layton would like this
> :D
>
> It appears based on the limited information on the website lfortran is
> in its early stages.  It appears to have as a goal the ability to
> execute code interactively, and as a negative is creating its own
> extension to the Fortran Standard.  Also seems to require Java.
>
> Flang on the other hand is really at this point 2 projects, both
> supported/developed by Nvidia.
>
> Flang is the current compiler that is either complete or reasonably
> complete from a Fortran standpoint but requires various things to work
> (a custom version of clang for example I believe).
>
> Also included under the Flang umbrella is f18, a new Fortran compiler
> being written from scratch with the goal of it being a proper member
> of the LLVM community, and they have interacted with the existing
> LLVM/clang community to find the best way to proceed.
>
> In both cases (Flang/f18) they are traditional style compilers that
> don't offer an interactive mode I believe.

Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com