[Beowulf] LFortran ... a REPL/Compiler for Fortran

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 07:42:08 PDT 2019

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:07:00 -0700, you wrote:

>Hmm, how does this compare to Flang
><https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang>?
>
>On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 12:33 PM Joe Landman <joe.landman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> See https://docs.lfortran.org/ .   Figured Jeff Layton would like this :D

It appears based on the limited information on the website lfortran is
in its early stages.  It appears to have as a goal the ability to
execute code interactively, and as a negative is creating its own
extension to the Fortran Standard.  Also seems to require Java.

Flang on the other hand is really at this point 2 projects, both
supported/developed by Nvidia.

Flang is the current compiler that is either complete or reasonably
complete from a Fortran standpoint but requires various things to work
(a custom version of clang for example I believe).

Also included under the Flang umbrella is f18, a new Fortran compiler
being written from scratch with the goal of it being a proper member
of the LLVM community, and they have interacted with the existing
LLVM/clang community to find the best way to proceed.

In both cases (Flang/f18) they are traditional style compilers that
don't offer an interactive mode I believe.