parallelizing OpenMP apps

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Thu Mar 22 09:57:05 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 12:05:21PM +0100, Ole W. Saastad wrote:

> Many of my colleges run climate models with OpenMP on fast
> sequential machines and would consider MPI based clusters if
> they could get some help to make the transition.

I would suggest checking out SMS:

http://www-ad.fsl.noaa.gov/ac/sms.html

It is a system aimed at the weather community. You add HPF-like
directives, and the system does the rest. We have seen O(100) speedup
on O(100) nodes... for a real code used for production air travel
weather prediction in the US.

It only does some kinds of stencils and some kinds of spectral codes,
and it only does F77, but if it does what your code uses...

-- greg