Eth0 Errors that don't stop MPICH program

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Mon Mar 5 09:58:56 PST 2001

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Ziriax John M Civ NHRC/DET wrote:

> We cranked up a small Beowulf cluster consisting of 10 200 MHz PCs.
> Each node has one SMB eznet-10/100 NICs connected to a 24 port SMC
> 10/100 switch.
> However, on at least 2 of the slave nodes (the others lack monitors)
> there was a series of errror messages which repeated except for the
> number at the end of the line:
> eth0: RTL8139 Interrupt Line Blocked Status  1

What version of the driver were you using?
Were these SMP systems?

This is a sanity check intended to detect physically blocked interrupt
lines.  Blocked interrupt lines are usually caused by a bug in the Linux
APIC handling code that permanently disables the interrupt line.  The
check may be falsely triggered by certain questionable but still valid
SMP options that temporarily block interrupts from being handled.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993