[Beowulf] dollars-per-teraflop : any lists like the Top500?

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 30 21:24:48 PDT 2010

On 6/30/10 8:11 PM, "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> Or are your purchase decisions largely a function of budget, suitability
> to purpose, technological considerations,  and ... how big of a discount
> you got?
>
> I suspect the latter.  I don't think many folks were influenced to any
> significant degree by the heroic class systems, other than to say "cool".

I can posit that such heroic systems might convince your upper management to
allow you to buy *any* cluster, especially if it's from the "itty bitty
monopoly"<grin>

But as Joe points out, when it actually comes to buying, the gimlet eyes of
the green eyeshade brigade will be cast over the bids.  It's all about cost
(whether capital or life cycle).  Nobody is going to pay more just because
the vendor did a stunt of one sort or another.