[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

jason bishop jason.bishop at clustercorp.com
Thu Jul 19 10:13:30 PDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 1:34 AM, Tim Cutts wrote:

> Those look like much the same caveats to me.  At least later
> versions of Mac OS X supply the fcntl() methods to specifically ask
> the driver to commit (although how it can possibly guarantee that I
> don't know - the device could be a long way away across a SAN);
> that possibility does not exist on Linux, as far as I know,
> although I'm willing to be corrected.
>
> Any code that relies on sync(), or any other method which just
> results in a *request* to flush the data to the physical storage,
> is going to have small windows where the data is at risk.  Enter
> UPS, stage right.  :-)
>
> Mind you, MySQL is perfectly capable of corrupting its own data
> without relying on rare hardware and power failures to blame for it.
>
> Tim

a bunch of work on i/o barriers (FUA) was done a while back on the
linux side.  (i'm not sure about a special fcntl call.  that sounds
strange).  fua was even plumbed into some userspace utils (ie:
sg_dd), but i haven't kept up with it to see if its actually achieved
end-to-end yet, and if so, on what hardware.

jason