[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Jul 19 16:16:49 PDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Tim Cutts wrote:

> And this is different from Linux how?

Because you are comparing two different system calls.

fsync(2) under Linux says:

       fsync() transfers ("flushes") all modified in-core data of (i.e., modi‐
       fied  buffer cache pages for) the file referred to by the file descrip‐
       tor fd to the disk device (or other  permanent  storage  device)  where
       that  file  resides.  The call blocks until the device reports that the
       transfer has completed.  It also flushes  metadata information  associ‐
       ated with the file (see stat(2)).

       Calling  fsync()  does  not  necessarily  ensure  that the entry in the
       directory containing the file has  also  reached  disk.   For  that  an
       explicit fsync() on a file descriptor for the directory is also needed.

[...]
> Mind you, MySQL is perfectly capable of corrupting its own data without
> relying on rare hardware and power failures to blame for it.

We have never found that, but should you come across it I would suggest filing
a bug report so it can get fixed.  Remember that MyISAM isn't ACID, just
InnoDB.

cheers,
Chris