[Beowulf] Multidimensional FFTs

Bill Rankin wrankin at ee.duke.edu
Tue Feb 28 10:26:51 PST 2006

Hey gang,

I know that in the past, multidimensional FFTs (in my case, 3D) have
posed a big challenge in getting them running well on clusters,
mainly in the areas of scalability.  This is somewhat due to the need
for an All2All communication step in the processing (although there
seem to be some alternative approaches here).

There is a research group here at Duke doing some application
development and they are looking at implementing their codes in a
cluster environment.  The main problem is that 95% of their
processing time is taken up by medium to large sized 3D FFTs (minimum
64 elements on an edge, 256k total elements).

So I was wondering what the current "state of the art" is in
clustered 3D FFTs?  I've googled around a bit, but most off the
results seem a little dated.  If someone could point me to any recent
papers or studies, I would be grateful.

Some specifics that I am interested in would be a good comparison of
different interconnects on overall performance, as this will have a
significant impact on the design of their cluster.

Thanks,

-bill

--
Bill Rankin, Ph.D.
Director, Cluster and Grid Technology Group

wrankin at duke.edu
ph: (919) 660-6561
fx: (919) 660-7070