[Beowulf] Multidimensional FFTs

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:15:08 PST 2006

Hi Bill

I've tested fft's rather extensively and run other codes that require
a transpose.  In my experience, a well tuned gig-e network is capable
of giving speed up, though not necessarily scaling that well.  The
most important thing is that you have full bisection bandwidth.
Anything less will reduce your scaling.  That is, if you use gig-e
you can't trunk switches, you will need to stay within a single
switch.  Typically, I've seen a 16 cpu job on gig-e gig about a 10
times speedup.  Of course, it is processor/memory/nic dependant.

I've also run fft's on Quadrics Elan 3/4, IBM hps, and SGI Numalink
4.  Since these are considerably higher bandwidth network they
perform much better.  On a 16cpu job I've seen around 14 times speed
up on these higher bandwidth networks.

As the size increases (say 256 cpu's) the networks that maintain full
bisection bandwidth scale the best.  There are very few reasonably
prices gig-e switches that maintain full bisection bandwidth at 256
cpu's, while Quadrics and HPS do (though their starting price is
high, at the larger system sizes, they become a realistic
proposition).  Numalink falls away a little due to the weird network
topology (dual plane quad bristle fat tree) which has drops in
network connectivity/cpu as the system gets larger.

If you want to go with gig-e a few things to be aware of:

*The nic matters (pro1000MT's give 10-15% better performance that
pro1000T's)

* Go with single cpu nodes - higher per cpu network bandwidth

* If you get dual core cpu's, treat it as a single core node (allow
the 2nd core to do all the tcp stuff)

I've played around with multiply connected nodes (nodes that have
dual ported nics) and the 2'nd nic doesn't give you much (10-15%) and
requires a fair bit of stuffing around to get it working well.  I
think you would be better of running your global fs and other
services over 1 nic and your mpi traffic over the other.  At least
this way, your fs and services shouldn't be stealing your bandwidth.

You may even try running mpi-gamma on the 2nd nic, which should give
you better bandwidth, hence better scaling (I haven't tried this).

If you want real measured numbers, drop me a personal email.

Stu.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com