[Beowulf] g77 limits...

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Feb 24 07:33:43 PST 2006

The ENDDO construct was added at the request of CDC in their FORTRAN-5
code extensions.  HP also incorporated it in their FORTRAN-5 code.  It
was burned in playdoh in Fortran77, as an optional construct parallel
and "more readable" than a do/continue construct.

The index labels in 73-80 were available when using the Model 029 drums
if you had the drum programming card appropriately set up, or for those
who're really old, you virtually always got them when you created a deck
using IEBPRINTPUNCH.  Indices were not mandatory, nor necessarily used
extensively for decks of only a couple of hundred cards, but some of us
learned the hard way that it was easier to use 'em than to try to
reconstruct the whole program after that box of cards was thrown akilter
when the campus bus hit you, your bicycle, and the card box strapped on
the rack on the bike... And, yes, I spent a night reordering such a box,
in the student health center as an inpatient.

And I thought I'd slept through those meetings!

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983