[Beowulf] g77 limits...

Josip Loncaric josip at lanl.gov
Thu Feb 23 15:31:51 PST 2006

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Toon Moene wrote:
>
>>      SUBROUTINE SUB(A, N)
>>      INTEGER*8 I, N
>>      DIMENSION A(N)
>>      DO I = 1, N
>>         A(I) = I
>>      ENDDO
>>      END
>>
>> To maximize the "runes" effect I've written this in all uppercase :-)
>
> Properly indented and everything.  I wouldn't even recognize it as
> Fortran otherwise.

I can't resist paraphrasing Barbara Chapman's theme from the SC05 "HPC
Survivor" session:

         "Fortran: It was good enough for Dad"

> Now all I have to do is find a Rosetta stone somewhere, and a magnifying
> glass (as I'm getting old and presbyopic:-)... what is this ENDDO
> command?  Where are the numbers, as in:
>
>       DO 10 I = 1, N
>          DO_SOME_WORK(I)
> 10    CONTINUE
>
> ???  And where are the line labels in columns 73-80?  These ARE punch
> card images, aren't they...:-)
>
>     rgb

... but the above isn't your father's Fortran.  Fortran 95 has evolved a
bit since my punched card days and Fortran IV.  Nowadays, you get a
capable array language, abstract data types, and lots of other
improvements (including free source form).

Barbara's spirited and funny defense of Fortran made her the last to be
voted off the "HPC Survivor Island" -- just before Burton Smith's
"language du jour" approach claimed the prize (a fictional visit to
Alcatraz :-).

Sincerely,
Josip