[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: Deskside clusters

Tony Brian Albers tba at kb.dk
Wed Aug 25 06:16:16 UTC 2021

I have a Precision 5820 in my office. It's only got one CPU(14 physical
cores), but it's more quiet than my HP SFF desktop PC. So yeah, I think
they can make something like that.

/tony

On 25/08/2021 05.35, Lux, Jim (US 7140) via Beowulf wrote:
> Yeah, but it is quiet enough to put in your office and not drive your office mate out?
>

> From: Jonathan Engwall <engwalljonathanthereal at gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 3:43 PM
> To: Jim Lux <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov>
> Cc: Douglas Eadline <deadline at eadline.org>, "beowulf at beowulf.org" <beowulf at beowulf.org>
> Subject: Re: [Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: Deskside clusters
>
> EMC offers dual socket 28 physical core processors. That's a lot of computer.
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2021, 1:33 PM Lux, Jim (US 7140) via Beowulf <beowulf at beowulf.org<mailto:beowulf at beowulf.org>> wrote:
> Yes, indeed.. I didn't call out Limulus, because it was mentioned earlier in the thread.
>
> And another reason why you might want your own.
> Every so often, the notice from JPL's HPC goes out to the users - "Halo/Gattaca/clustername will not be available because it is reserved for Mars {Year}"  While Mars landings at JPL are a *big deal*, not everyone is working on them (in fact, by that time, most of the Martians are now working on something else), and you want to get your work done.  I suspect other institutional clusters have similar "the 800 pound (363 kg) gorilla has requested" scenarios.
>

> <snip>

Tony Albers - Systems Architect - Data Department, Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Tel: +45 2566 2383 - CVR/SE: 2898 8842 - EAN: 5798000792142