[Beowulf] Ethernet switch OSes

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Apr 23 04:07:30 UTC 2021

I'm buying a 100 gig ethernet switch for my lab, and it seems that the
latest gear is intended to run a switch OS.  Being as cheap as I've
always been, free software sounds good.

It looks like Open Network Linux is kaput.

It looks like SONiC is doing pretty well.

And there are several commercial offerings.

Does anyone have experience with these OSes? Initially I'm going to
just have a single 32-port switch here and there, but I may have to
build much larger systems in the 6-12 month timeframe.

Thanks in advance!

-- greg

p.s. I've left Silicon Valley and I'm working at the Event Horizon
Telescope, those people with the image of the ring around the black
hole. I'll be attending Supercomputing again! Surely there will be a
Beowulf Bash!

p.p.s. and if any vendor wants to *sell* me aforesaid switch, please
send me a direct email. After 24 years of not having to get 3 quotes
for smallish purchases, my purchasing department is driving me nuts.