[Beowulf] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Re: Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

Lux, Jim (US 7140) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 19 14:26:06 PDT 2020

Yes, the evil-ution of languages proceeded at a much more stately pace in “arpanet” days.

Typically, you’d have a bunch of vendor specific versions, and since PCs per-se didn’t exist, you bought the compiler for the machine you had.  And then, maybe you paid attention to the notes in the back of the manual about deviations from the Fortran IV, 66, or 77.  Most compilers had extensions from the IV/66 (or 77) – quoted strings, for instance, instead of Hollerith constants, and free form input.  Some allowed array index origins other than 1 (handy for FFTs where you wanted to go from -N/2 to N/2).  Most also had some provision for direct access to files, as opposed to sequential, but it was very, very OS dependent.

Probably by the 80s and early 90s, with widespread use of personal computers, and the POSIX standard, you started to see more “machine independent, standards compliant” Fortran. And, you saw the idea of buying your compiler from someone different than the computer maker, i.e. companies like Absoft and Portland Group (now part of nvidia), partly because the microcomputer manufacturers had no interest in developing compilers for cheap processors, and sometimes to accommodate a specialized need.  Hence products like Fortran for 8080 under CP/M from Digital Research.  ( I ran Cromemco Fortran IV in 48k of RAM on my mighty Cromemco Z80 at 4MHz, which I believe was a variant of Fortran-80 from DR)

But even then, it was a pretty slow evolution – the Fortran compilers I was running in the 80s on microcomputers under MS-DOS wasn’t materially different from the Fortran I was running in 1978 on a Z80, which wasn’t significantly different from the Fortran I ran on mainframes (IBM 360, CDC 6xxx, etc.) and minis (IBM 1130, PDP-11 in the 60s and 70s. What would change is things like the libraries available to do “non-standard” stuff (like random disk access).