[Beowulf] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Re: Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Oct 19 12:20:58 PDT 2020

That's exactly what I suspected. I guess 13 years is like an eternity in
the modern "Speed of the Internet" world we live in, but may not have
been such a slow evolution time of the pre-Internet days.

Prentice

On 10/19/20 2:53 PM, Renfro, Michael wrote:

> Minor point of pedagogy from my place in the "learned FORTRAN 77 in
> 1990" crowd: your instructor's options would have been:
>
>   * standard FORTRAN 77
>   * vendor-specific dialect of FORTRAN (VAX or otherwise)
>   * maybe a pre-release of FORTRAN 90? Wasn't released and
>     standardized until 1991-92.
>
> Never mind the availability of texts for same.
>
> *From: *Beowulf <beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org>
> *Date: *Monday, October 19, 2020 at 12:06 PM
> *To: *beowulf at beowulf.org <beowulf at beowulf.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [Beowulf] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Re:
> Spark, Julia, OpenMPI etc. - all in one place
>

> On 10/19/20 10:28 AM, Douglas Eadline wrote:
> > --snip--
> >
> >> Unfortunately the presumption seems to be that the old is deficient
> >> because it is old, and "my generation” didn't invent it (which is
> >> clearly perverse; I see no rush to replace English, French, …
> which are
> >> all older than any of our programming languages, and which adapt, as do
> >> our programming languages).
> >>
> > I think this has a lot to do with the Fortran situation. In these
> "modern"
> > times, software seems to have gone from "releases" to a "sliding
> > constant release" cycle and anything not released in the past few
> > months is "old."
> >
> > How many people here will wait a 2-6 months before installing
> > a "new version" of some package in production to make sure there
> > are no major issues. And of course keep older version options
> > with software modules. Perhaps because I've been at this a while,
> > I have a let it "mellow a bit" approach to shinny new software.
> >
> > I find it odd that Fortran gets placed in the "old software box"
> > because it works while new languages with their constant feature
> > churn and versions break dependency trees all over the place,
> > and somehow that is good thing. Now get off my lawn.
> >
> > --
> > Doug
> >
> Now we're starting to veer of course a little here, but what the hell...
>
> I think that one of the problems with Fortran is a complete
> misunderstanding of it's purpose. People are always shocked when I tell
> them the scientists I support are "still" using Fortran. Many people
> think that C and C++ replaced Fortran, but that is not true. C was
> designed to do low-level programming for tasks like writing operating
> systems, and C++ is just an extension of the C language to support
> Object-Oriented Programming. Both C and C++ are lower-level and more
> general purpose than Fortran.
>
> Fortran is a domain-specific language, meaning it was meant for a
> special purpose, which in this case is doing mathematical operations,
> and it's very good for those sorts of things. It's trivial to create
> multidimensional arrays in Fortran, which is useful for many math
> operations, but C doesn't even support anything beyond 1D arrays. Sure
> [...]
Prentice Bisbal
Lead Software Engineer
Research Computing
Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory