[Beowulf] OT, RAID controller replacement replacement batteries?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Wed Nov 18 10:40:38 PST 2020

on Wed, 4 Nov 2020 12:01:11 -0800 Skylar Thompson wrote:

> These were all the ancient "like-new brand-name" Dell batteries, figure I
> don't want to be the one that sets off the FM200 when the really dodgy
> battery catches fire...

I bought one of the "no name ones" for consideration (it was less than $15,
shipped, so an inexpensive experiment).  The unit was even sketchier than
I had imagined.  The picture was accurate but in person one could see that
two blank spots in the image had originally been printed with "Dell"
and "Japan" (as in "batteries made in Japan") and had been blacked out with a
sharpie.  My best guess is that it is a remanufactured Dell OEM with the
original cells replaced by who knows which Chinese cells.  There was no sticker
or other indicator to indicate who had constructed it.

If the only non (old) OEM options are like this one might as well buy some
of the ancient Dell batteries and rebuild them oneself.  At least then
there would be a record of what was in it!

Regards,

David Mathog