[Beowulf] [External] RIP CentOS 8

Lux, Jim (US 7140) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 11 16:31:28 UTC 2020

One interesting take on this is my experience as a HPC user at JPL.
At JPL we use both external and inhouse clusters (most recently, Halo and Aurora, just replaced by Gattaca) - they have a fairly consistent user environment - Maybe some changes in what packages are preinstalled (matlab, MKL, BLAS, various versions) and some small differences in mass storage.  So Gattaca was a "forklift upgrade" - whole brand new cluster, physically distributed between JPL and that datacenter near Las Vegas, whose name eludes me as I write this.

However, we also use clusters at SDSC and TACC - and both of those have radically different environments from the ones at JPL - SLURM & Launcher vs PBS, for instance.

I don't recall which versions of the OS either runs (my codes aren't particularly OS specific, and as long as I can compile and run Fortran and Python, I'm happy) - I don't know that I'd even notice if it changed - as a user.  The computer in my office that runs Linux happens to be Ubuntu, although I don't use it for developing my HPC codes, and I'm writing this on a Mac, and I also run the same codes on a Windows PC.  So I've evolved a fairly "platform insensitive" work stream.  However, I'm also a tiny customer.  The folks who run Entry Descent and Landing simulations or Trajectory calculations for flybys might well be a lot pickier.

I am sure the sysadmins for those clusters DO care, very much, because they're having to keep things up to date, install new packages, etc.
That's likely who would be affected by CentOS, RHE, etc.

On 12/10/20, 9:41 AM, "Beowulf on behalf of Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf" <beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org on behalf of beowulf at beowulf.org> wrote:

    > I've added some comments on LWN - but it may be a tough day for HPC. That
    > is the last market segement I can see that is tied to RPM as a "thing@

    Actually, I think the opposite is true. HPC clusters are usually
    walled-off computing environments, where *most* of the software being
    run on them is developed in-house or otherwise compiled from
    source-code. (I work in academia, where just about 100% of apps used are
    open-source).

    Large cluster upgrades are usually "forklift" upgrades, where a new
    cluster usually means a completely new, separate computing environment
    from the previous cluster.

    I think these factors make HPC clusters an *easier* place to change
    course than other computing environments.

    --
    Prentice