[Beowulf] [External] RIP CentOS 8

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Thu Dec 10 17:40:41 UTC 2020

> I've added some comments on LWN - but it may be a tough day for HPC. That
> is the last market segement I can see that is tied to RPM as a "thing@

Actually, I think the opposite is true. HPC clusters are usually
walled-off computing environments, where *most* of the software being
run on them is developed in-house or otherwise compiled from
source-code. (I work in academia, where just about 100% of apps used are
open-source).

Large cluster upgrades are usually "forklift" upgrades, where a new
cluster usually means a completely new, separate computing environment
from the previous cluster.

I think these factors make HPC clusters an *easier* place to change
course than other computing environments.

--
Prentice