[Beowulf] PBS question

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 29 11:34:00 PDT 2019

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 2:00 PM Lux, Jim (US 337K) via Beowulf <
beowulf at beowulf.org> wrote:

> I’m doing some EP job arrays using PBS, and I was wondering if there’s a
> way to find out how much resources the job actually consumed.
>
> For instance, if I do a select 1:ncpus=4 does it actually use 4 CPUs?
>
> Likewise, is there a “memory high water mark”.
>

> The idea here is that since my job competes with all the other jobs, the
> better I can describe my resource needs (i.e. not over-require) the faster
> my job gets through the system.
>

> Or are these things I need to instrument in some other way.
>

> --

ncpus=4 requests 4 cpus/cores, which PBS/Torque will allocate to your job
alone (unless the nodes are tagged as work shared).
It is up to you use these cpus (e.g. MPI: mpirun np=4; OpenMP:
OMP_THREAD_NUM=4) or not (a serial program).
"qstat -f" produces a fair amount of information about the job resources.
The accounting logs, in server_priv/accounting/YYYMMDD  also do, if you
have access to them.

You can request a certain amount of memory with the -l (lowercase L)
switch of qsub.
See 'man qsub' for syntax, and 'man pbs_resources' for which resources can
be requested (particularly pmem, pvmem, vmem).

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa