[Beowulf] Contents of Compute Nodes Images vs. Login Node Images

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Mon Oct 29 08:17:19 PDT 2018

On 10/28/2018 09:33 AM, Jörg Saßmannshausen wrote:
> Hi Prentice,
>
> that sounds somehow similar of what I have done back at my days at UCL:
> - login node with development packages
> - compute node only what is really needed in terms of software and services
>
> However, if you are removing packages from the compx.xml file manually, how can
> you be sure you are not breaking dependencies?

Two ways:

1. If you omit a package that is a dependency but don't explicitly say
not to install it in your kickstart file, then anaconda should install
it when it resolves dependencies. Whenever I go through this process,
there's always more RPMs installed on the final system than I list,
which is a result of this dependency resolution process.

2. Testing, testing, testing!  If you create a situation where a
dependency cannot be resolved, the kickstart will fail with an error,
which you should see when testing your kickstart process.