[Beowulf] Contents of Compute Nodes Images vs. Login Node Images

Jörg Saßmannshausen sassy-work at sassy.formativ.net
Sun Oct 28 06:33:02 PDT 2018

Hi Prentice,

that sounds somehow similar of what I have done back at my days at UCL:
- login node with development packages
- compute node only what is really needed in terms of software and services

However, if you are removing packages from the compx.xml file manually, how can
you be sure you are not breaking dependencies?

As I was using Debian, I simply did bare installation and then installed what
I needed. Once I got a running OS, I rsynced that to a folder on the headnode
which was the 'image' of the compute nodes. Depending on the cluster, I build
the software on the login node and copied it to the folder where the image
was. So during installation, that image folder was copied to the compute nodes
and I only had to install the boot-loader (I never really looking into how to
script that as well) using PXE boot. It worked quite well.
Upgrading a software package simply means installing it inside the image
foldeer (either chroot if it was a .deb package or just copie the files over)
and rsynced it to the compute nodes.

It was a robust system and I managed to handle th 112 compute nodes quite well
I had. I even could take care of older and newer nodes and can install highly
optimised packages on them as well. So nodes which only got avx got only the
avx enabled software and the ones which had avx2 got these ones.

It might not be the most flashy solution but it was KIS: Kepp It Simple!

All the best from a rainy London

Jörg

Am Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2018, 13:43:43 GMT schrieb Prentice Bisbal via
Beowulf: