[Beowulf] GLIBC_3.4.x/GLIBCXX_3.4.x not found on CentOS 7.x?

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 20 10:21:05 PDT 2018

> On Jun 19, 2018, at 6:25 PM, David Mathog <mathog at caltech.edu> wrote:
>
> On 19 Jun 2018 19:08:12 Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>
>> What do you folks use (besides use Singularity or similar) for
>> software that for whatever reason balks because it asks for
>> GLIBC/GLIBCXX 3.4.20 or newer on CentOS 7.x?
>
> What software would that be?

Where we’ve run into something similar before was the NCI gdc-client. As it happens in this instance, this was a miscommunication. What the user was doing was installing an R package to a copy of R they’d installed with GCC 5.4 which was supplied by a module. When R went to build the additional packages, it eventually ran into this dependency. Our module environment module for GCC 5.4 adds the GCC lib64 directory to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as I assumed was how everyone was doing this. I’m now wondering, is this a bad idea/should I be doing something else here?

> But I don't recall ever needing a newer glibc or glibcxx.  Doing that would be a huge mess unless the code used no other libraries - because all other common libraries on the system would be linked against the system version.

I think the only places one is likely to run into this is by using binaries that come from elsewhere — either Fedora or some other Linux distribution entirely — or when attempting to mix with software built with a newer GCC than the system has.

>> There appears to be a lot of conflicting
>> information out there, and some “just throw a newer libstdc++.so.6
>> library in a lib directory,” and some “that’s not such a great idea”
>> posts right below them.
>
> Safe if no other libraries are involved.  See what "ldd" shows.  If there are other libraries, and they have dependencies on the old version of the newer one you installed, it would be a problem.

I guess one thing I don’t know is how likely it is that software having their libstdc++ library upgraded will actually cause problems. I’d assume that most people will at some point during their job run something that was built against the system libstdc++ library. Yet, I think people compile alternate copies of GCC and provide them all the time. Are they all using -rpath or something similar, or all doing the same not-great-idea thing I’m doing, or…?

--
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'