[Beowulf] GLIBC_3.4.x/GLIBCXX_3.4.x not found on CentOS 7.x?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Tue Jun 19 15:25:28 PDT 2018

On 19 Jun 2018 19:08:12 Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> What do you folks use (besides use Singularity or similar) for
> software that for whatever reason balks because it asks for
> GLIBC/GLIBCXX 3.4.20 or newer on CentOS 7.x?

What software would that be?

I frequently run into requirements for more recent versions of the
compilers and other build tools on Centos 6 (or 7).  These are typically
resolved using either devtoolset or by upgrading builds of things like
cmake or automake and installing them in /usr/local or my home
directory.  Requirements for newer boost versions are distressingly
common, and that is much more of a problem because it is often hard to
coerce the build tools to use it even when one is available. (I'm
looking at YOU cmake.)  There is a 1.57 RPM somewhere or other for
Centos, and so far that has always sufficed.

But I don't recall ever needing a newer glibc or glibcxx.  Doing that
would be a huge mess unless the code used no other libraries - because
all other common libraries on the system would be linked against the
system version.

> There appears to be a lot of conflicting
> information out there, and some “just throw a newer libstdc++.so.6
> library in a lib directory,” and some “that’s not such a great idea”
> posts right below them.

Safe if no other libraries are involved.  See what "ldd" shows.  If
there are other libraries, and they have dependencies on the old version
of the newer one you installed, it would be a problem.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu