[Beowulf] Hyperthreading and 'OS jitter'

Scott Atchley e.scott.atchley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 04:13:26 PDT 2017

I would imagine the answer is "It depends". If the application uses the
per-CPU caches effectively, then performance may drop when HT shares the
cache between the two processes.

We are looking at reserving a couple of cores per node on Summit to run
system daemons if the use requests. If the user can effectively use the
GPUs, the CPUs should be idle much of the time anyway. We will see.

I like you idea of a low power core to run OS tasks.