[Beowulf] non-stop computing

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 27 15:16:43 PDT 2016

On 28/10/16 00:57, Michael Di Domenico wrote:

> i was intrigued by Joe's suggestion of snapshot'ing kvm instances.  i
> might look into that as an academic exercise.  i knew you could
> pause/snapshot/resume an instance, but i've never tried to resume a
> saved off snapshot, only restart one.  if one could resume a snapshot
> and have the computation leave off exactly where it was paused, that
> might be nifty

Just be aware that if it's writing to external stable storage then you
might find those output files get confused depending on whether
restarting it also knows to restore those output files back to the point
it was checkpointed, or not.

If it doesn't then for a sequential log file I'd guess you'd jut see
repeated entries, for a random access file it might be more interesting. :-)