[Beowulf] [OT] MPI-haters

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Mar 10 15:44:03 PST 2016

On 11/03/16 05:32, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> This list used to get A LOT more traffic. Not sure what happened over
> the past few years.

The list went onto autopilot for a while when Don left Penguin, and when
I took over the list I could see lots of bounces due to the list being
blaclisted & also people unsubscribing but had no access to the box to
be able to see what was going on.

We lost a lot of subscribers back then. :-(

I met with Penguin when I was a the Slurm User Group in 2013 and we went
through the logs of the box they had it on and I found that the Mailman
web interface was being used by nefarious people to mailbomb people with
subscription requests via automated web services.

Consequently the list was being blacklisted by many anti-spam services;
both due to the mailbombing and because people would click the link
without reading it and get subscribed and then mark traffic as spam. :-(

Penguin graciously provided me with a VM that I could have root access
on and then we worked to move the whole shebang over to it, plus I first
blocked access to the parts of the Mailman web interface that could
trigger subscription requests (hence why people have to email the list
owner address to get added these days).

Today we have around 1,500 subscribers so it's not that small a list!

All the best,
Chris