[Beowulf] [OT] MPI-haters

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 10 13:35:19 PST 2016

My first "real" cluster (as opposed to a "group of workstations with some custom software that happens to share computation") was  a bunch of little mini-itx motherboards that booted off compact flash (running a version of MS-DOS)  and used a ramdisk for local storage.

USB support in Linux back then was pretty wonky.  I'd build the image on another machine, copy it to the CF, then boot them. It was great when I got the network drivers working and could use NFS, and even better when PXE worked. No more software update via sneakernet

I would not willingly go back to that model of operation.

Jim Lux
(818)354-2075 (office)
(818)395-2714 (cell)