[Beowulf] Scaling issues on Xeon E5-2680

Jon Tegner tegner at renget.se
Sun Feb 28 08:01:45 PST 2016

Thanks!

we are using openmpi-1.10.2, and I believe bind-to core and socket are
on by default here. Openmpi is built using

./configure \
         --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu \
         --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu \
         --disable-dependency-tracking \
         --prefix=/remote/soft/OpenMPI/1.10.2 \
         --disable-mpi-profile \
         --enable-shared \
         --with-tm \
         --with-sge \
         --with-verbs

gcc is used throughout.

Code should be using RDMA. I have verified that infiniband performance
(using openmpi-1.10.2) is what is to be expected (through
mpitests-osu_bw and mpitest_osu_latency).

Hugepagesize haven't been touched ("grep Hugepagesize /proc/meminfo"
gives 2048 kB). Is this something worth changing?

numastat gives

                            node0           node1
numa_hit                 6288694         1193663
numa_miss                      0               0
numa_foreign                   0               0
interleave_hit             66539           66287
local_node               6288301         1126078
other_node                   393           67585

on one of the nodes - but these numbers seems to be fairly
representative for the nodes. However, haven't used numastat before, and
maybe it should be used simultaneously as the job is running (which it
wasn't now)?

Thanks!

/jon