[Beowulf] Strange "resume" statements generated for GRUB2

Mikhail Kuzminsky mikky_m at mail.ru
Mon Jun 10 10:20:05 PDT 2013

  Skylar Thompson <skylar.thompson at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hibernation isn't strictly suspension - it's writing all allocated,
>non-file-backed portions of memory to the paging/swap space. When the
>system comes out of hibernation, it boots normally and then looks for a
>hibernation image in the paging space. If it finds one, it loads that
>back into system memory rather than proceeding with a regular boot. This
>is in contract to system suspension, which depends on hardware support
>to place CPU, memory, and other system devices into a low power state,
>and wait for a signal to power things back up, bypassing the boot process.

Taking into account small size of my swap partition (4GB only), less than my RAM size,
(I wrote about this situation in my 1st message) the hibernation image may not fit into swap partition. Therefore coding of -part2 (for /) in resume statement is preferred (right for general case).

>I'm not a SuSE expert so I'm not sure what YaST is doing, but I imagine
>you have to make grub changes via YaST rather than editing the grub
>configs directly.
>Skylar
Generally speaking, you are right. But I myself strongly prefer to know what occurs at linux level - to have the "natural" possibility (enough knowledge) to work w/OpenSUSE, Fedora etc.
So I prefer to change GRUB2 configuration files :-)

Mikhail