[Beowulf] A cluster of Arduinos

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 11 09:58:13 PST 2012

Yes.. better the widget that one can whip on down to Radio Shack and buy on my way home from work than the ghostware that may live for Christmas future.

Also, does the Raspberry PI $25 price point include a power supply? The Arduino runs off the USB 5V power, so it's one less thing to hassle with.

I don't know that performance is all that important in this application. It's more to experiment with message passing in a multiprocessor system.  Slow is fine.

(I can't think of a computational application for a ArdWulf (combining Italian and Saxon) that wouldn't be blown away by almost any single computer, including something like a smart phone)

Realistically, you're looking at bitbanging kinds of serial interfaces.

I can see several network implementations: SPI shared bus, Hypercubes, toroidal surfaces, etc.