[Beowulf] SGE qconf, renaming hosts/queues?

mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Sep 8 12:03:02 PDT 2011

Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:05 AM, mathog <mathog at caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Failing that, is there an easy way to dump
>> the host/queue description to a text file, edit
>> that, and then re-create from the modified descriptions?  There are
>> bunch of text configuration files in the
>> SGE directory, but I'm  guessing that editing/renaming those
>> directly
>> is a big no no.
>
> Well, it'd probably work, but the risk is to forget some.
>
> Instead, you can use qconf to dump queue definitions. Something along
> the lines of:
>
> # qconf -sql | while read QUEUE ; do
>     echo "****************** ${QUEUE} **********************"
>     qconf -sq ${QUEUE}
> done

That was a big help.  After dumping both the queues and execution hosts
this way it was easy to delete
the bogus queues and relatively easy to delete the one bogus host entry
(after running down everything
else that referenced it).  (Bogus host because the address now points
to a machine of a different type.)
The only major complication was that this doesn't quite work:

   qconf -se hostname >foo
   qconf -Ae foo

there are things -se writes that -Ae won't consume.  After editing out
the "processors" and
"load_values" lines in foo -Ae was happy.

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu