[Beowulf] Users abusing screen

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Wed Oct 26 07:31:56 PDT 2011

On 10/25/2011 07:13 PM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 09:46:49AM -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>
>> The systems where screen is being abused are not part of the batch
>> system, and they will not /can not be for reasons I don't want to get
>> into here. The problem with killing long-running programs is that there
>> are often long running programs that are legitimate in my evironment. I
>> can quickly scan 'ps' output and determine which is which, but I doubt
>> that kind of intelligence could ever be built into a shell script.
> I see that you didn't bother to check out the software proposed soon
> after you asked your question. If you don't check out potential
> answers because you doubt they will work, why should anyone bother to
> reply to you?

Greg,

I didn't realize I needed to log a detailed response to every suggestion
made to me on this list. I've been a member of this list for quite
sometime, and I've never seen a comment like yours before. You're out of
line.

People should bother to reply to me because I've been a participating
member of this list for 4 years now, and often assist others when I can.
I don't expect a response to every suggestion I provide to others.

--
Prentice