[Beowulf] Users abusing screen

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Oct 25 16:13:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 09:46:49AM -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> The systems where screen is being abused are not part of the batch
> system, and they will not /can not be for reasons I don't want to get
> into here. The problem with killing long-running programs is that there
> are often long running programs that are legitimate in my evironment. I
> can quickly scan 'ps' output and determine which is which, but I doubt
> that kind of intelligence could ever be built into a shell script.

I see that you didn't bother to check out the software proposed soon
after you asked your question. If you don't check out potential
answers because you doubt they will work, why should anyone bother to
reply to you?

The problem you have is a common issue in university environments, and
the common solution is a script that accurately figures out
long-running cpu-intensive programs and nices/kills them. I first ran
into such a thing in, oh, 1992? It's not rocket science.

-- greg