[Beowulf] $1, 279-per-hour, 30, 000-core cluster built on Amazon EC2 cloud

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 5 05:40:53 PDT 2011

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Douglas Eadline wrote:

> Several years ago I flippantly proposed what seems to be
> a simple way to ensure important consumer private data
> (medical, finance, etc.) was safe. Pass a law that says
> organization who collects or holds personal data must
> include the same data for organization's Board of Directors and
> officers (CEO, COO etc) in the database. At least
> the CEO might start taking security serious when
> someone in Bulgaria is buying jet skies with his AMX card.

It wouldn't help.  Physicians are too clueless to understand or care
(mostly, not universally) and besides, what can they do?  They don't
write software.  The companies that provide the software won't have
their board's information in the DB under any circumstances, and they
are the problem.  Or rather, the unregulated nature of the business is
the problem.  The government is spending all sorts of energy specifying
the detailed structure of the DB and ICD codes for every possible
illness at a staggering degree of granularity so that they can
eventually micro-specify compensation rates for fingering your left
gonad during an exam but are leaving HIPAA -- a disaster from day one in
so very many ways -- in place as the sole guardian of our medical
privacy.

HIPAA fails to specify IT security, and obscures precisely who will be
held financially responsible for failures of security or what other
sanctions might be applied.  HIPAA has had the easily predictable side
effect of placing enormous physical and financial obstacles in the path
of medical research, to the point where I think it is safe to say that
HIPAA alone has de fact killed thousands to tens of thousands of people
simply by delaying discovery for years to decades (while costing us a
modest fortune to perform such research as is now performed, with whole
departments in any research setting devoted to managing the
permissioning of the data).  Finally, HIPAA's fundamental original
purpose was to keep e.g. health insurance companies or employers from
getting your health care records and using them to deny coverage or
employment, and it didn't really succeed even in that because of the
appalling state of deregulation in the insurance industry itself.

It's really pretty amazing.  It's hard to imagine how anyone could have
come up with a piece of governance so diabolically well designed to be
enormously expensive in money and lives while failing even to accomplish
its own primary goals or the related goals that it SHOULD have tried to
accomplish (such as mandating a certain -- high -- level of security and
complete open-standard interoperability and data portability in emergent
EMR/PM systems, at least at the DB level), even if they tried.  However,
we should never be hasty to ascribe to human evil that which can
adequately be explained by mere incompetence and stupidity.

But this is OT, and I'll return to my muttons now.  Soap box out.

    rgb