[Beowulf] $1, 279-per-hour, 30, 000-core cluster built on Amazon EC2 cloud

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Oct 4 14:41:02 PDT 2011

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 at 5:03pm, Robert G. Brown wrote

> Needless to say, the passwords and authentication schemes used in EMRs
> are typically a joke -- after all, the users are borderline incompetent
> users and cannot be expected to remember or quickly type in a user id or
> password much more complicated than their own initials.  Many sites have
> one completely trivial password in use by all the physicians and nurses
> who use the system -- just enough to MAYBE keep patients out of the
> system while waiting in an examining room.

My wife's experience here was somewhat the opposite of that.  Within 2
days of starting her fellowship at UCSF she had acquired over 10 usernames
and passwords (and one RSA hardware token) for all the various systems she
needed to interact with.  Each system, of course, had its own password
aging and renewal rules.  Determining how physicians manage their
passwords in such an environment is left as an exercise for the reader...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin