[Beowulf] IBM's Watson on Jeopardy tonight

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Feb 16 01:41:59 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:26:53AM +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> To be tied with a human though i feel means they are on par with humans.

Here's a slightly different take on the matter

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2011/02/09/science.1200970.abstract

Perspectives
To put our findings in perspective, the 6.4*10 18
instructions per second that human kind can carry out on its
general-purpose computers in 2007 are in the same ballpark
area as the maximum number of nerve impulses executed by
one human brain per second (10 17 ) (36). The 2.4*10 21  bits
stored by humanity in all of its technological devices in 2007
is approaching order of magnitude of the roughly 10 23  bits
stored in the DNA of a human adult (37), but it is still
minuscule compared to the 10 90  bits stored in the observable
universe (38). However, in contrast to natural information
processing, the world’s technological information processing
capacities are quickly growing at clearly exponential rates.

/ www.sciencexpress.org / 10 February 2011 / Page 1 / 10.1126/science.1200970
We estimate the world’s technological capacity to store,
communicate, and compute information, tracking 60
analog and digital technologies during the period from
1986 to 2007. In 2007, humankind was able to store 2.9 x
10
20
 optimally compressed bytes, communicated almost 2
x 10
21
 bytes, and carry out 6.4 x 10
18
 instructions per
second on general-purpose computers. General-purpose
computing capacity grew at an annual rate of 58%. The
world’s capacity for bidirectional telecommunication
grew at 28% per year, closely followed by the increase in
globally stored information (23%). Humankind’s capacity
for unidirectional information diffusion through
broadcasting channels has experienced comparatively
modest annual growth (6%). Telecommunication has been
dominated by digital technologies since 1990 (99.9% in
digital format in 2007) and the majority of our
technological memory has been in digital format since the
early 2000s (94% digital in 2007).
Leading social scientists have recognized that we are living
through an age in which “the generation of wealth, the
exercise of power, and the creation of cultural codes came to
depend on the technological capacity of societies and
individuals, with information technologies as the core of this
capacity” (1). Despite this insight, most evaluations of
society’s technological capacity to handle information are
based on either qualitative assessments or indirect
approximations, such as the stock of installed devices or the
economic value of related products and services (2–9).
Previous work
Some pioneering studies have taken a more direct
approach to quantify the amount of information that society
processes with its information and communication
technologies (ICT). Following pioneering work in Japan (10),
Pool (11) estimated the growth trends of the “amount of
words” transmitted by 17 major communications media in the
United States from 1960 to 1977. This study was the first to
show empirically the declining relevance of print media with
respect to electronic media. In 1997, Lesk (12) asked “how
much information is there in the world?” and presented a
brief outline on how to go about estimating the global
information storage capacity. A group of researchers at the
University of California, at Berkeley, took up the
measurement challenge between 2000 and 2003 (13). Their
focus on “uniquely created” information resulted in the
conclusion that “most of the total volume of new information
flows is derived from the volume of voice telephone traffic,
most of which is unique content” (97%); as broadcasted
television and most information storage mainly consists of
duplicate information, these omnipresent categories
contributed relatively little. A storage company hired a
private sector research firm (International Data Corporation,
IDC) to estimate the global hardware capacity of digital ICT
for the years 2007-2008 (14). For digital storage, IDC
estimates that in 2007 “all the empty or usable space on hard
drives, tapes, CDs, DVDs, and memory (volatile and
nonvolatile) in the market equaled 264 exabytes” (14).
During 2008, an industry and university collaboration
explicitly focused on information consumption (15),
measured in hardware capacity, words, and hours. The results
are highly reliant on media time-budget studies, which
estimate how many hours people interact with a media
device. Not surprisingly, the result obtained with this
methodology was that computer games and movies represent
99.2% of the total amount of data “consumed”.
Scope of our exercise
To reconcile these different results, we focus on the
world’s technological capacity to handle information. We do
not account for uniqueness of information, since it is very
difficult to differentiate between truly new and merely
recombined, duplicate information. Instead we assume that all
information has some relevance for some individual. Aside
from the traditional focus on the transmission through space
(communication) and time (storage), we also consider the
computation of information. We define storage as the
The World’s Technological Capacity to Store, Communicate, and Compute
Information
Martin Hilbert 1*
 and Priscila López 2

1 University of Southern California (USC), Annenberg School of Communication; United Nations ECLAC.  2 Open University of
Catalonia (UOC).
*To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: mhilbert at usc.edu

 on February 16, 2011 www.sciencemag.org Downloaded from

/ www.sciencexpress.org / 10 February 2011 / Page 2 / 10.1126/science.1200970
maintenance of information over a considerable amount of
time for explicit later retrieval and estimate the installed
(available) capacity. We do not consider volatile storage in
the respective inventory (such as RAM), since the ultimate
end of volatile memory is computation, not storage per se.
Communication is defined as the amount of information that
is effectively received or sent by the user, while being
transmitted over a considerable distance (outside the local
area). This includes those transmissions whose main purpose
consists in the overcoming of distances, not the local sharing
of information (such as the distribution of copies at a
meeting, or communication through private local area
networks). We take inventory of the effective communication
capacity (the actual amount of bits transmitted). We define
computation as the meaningful transformation of information
and estimate the installed (available) capacity.
More precisely, as shown in Fig. 1, we distinguishamong:
storage of information in bits; unidirectional diffusion
through broadcasting in bits per second; bidirectional
telecommunication in bits per second; computation of
information by general purpose computers in instructions per
second (or MIPS); and (the estimated computational capacity
of a selected sample of application-specific devices (MIPS).
While previous studies tracked some two or three dozen
categories of ICT over three consecutive years at most, our
study encompasses worldwide estimates for 60 categories (21
analog and 39 digital) and spans over two decades (1986-
2007).
We obtain the technological capacity by basically
multiplying the number of installed technological devices
with their respective performances. All estimates are yearly
averages, but we adjust for the fact that the installed
technological stock of a given year is the result of an
accumulation process of previous years, whereas each year’s
technologies contribute with different performance rates. We
used 1,120 sources and explain our assumptions in detail in
Supporting Online Material (16). The statistics we rely on
include databases from international organizations [such as
(17–22)], historical inventories from individuals for
commercial or academic purposes [such as (23–26)], publicly
available statistics from private research firms [such as (27,
28)], as well as a myriad of sales and product specifications
from equipment producers. We filled in occasional blanks
with either linear or exponential interpolations, depending on
the nature of the process in question. Frequently we compared
diverse sources for the same phenomena and strove for
reasonable middle grounds in case of contradictions. In cases
where specific country data were not available, we aimed for
a globally balanced outlook by creating at least two
international profiles, one for the “developed” member
countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and
Development (OECD), and another one for the rest of the
world.
Information, not hardware with redundant data
Although the estimation of the global hardware capacity
for information storage and communication is of interest for
the ICT industry (14), we are more interested in the amount
of information that is handled by this hardware. Therefore,
we converted the data contained in storage and
communication hardware capacity into informational bits by
normalizing on compression rates. This addresses the fact that
information sources have different degrees of redundancy.
The redundancy (or predictability) of the source is primarily
determined by the content in question, such as text, images,
audio or video (29, 30). Considering the kind of content, we
measured information as if all redundancy were removed with
the most efficient compression algorithms available in 2007
(we call this level of compression “optimally compressed”).
Shannon (29) showed that the uttermost compression of
information approximates the entropy of the source, which
unambiguously quantifies the amount of information
contained in the message. In an information theoretic sense
(30), information is defined as the opposite of uncertainty.
Shannon (29) defined one bit as the amount of information
that reduces uncertainty by half (regarding a given probability
space, such as letters from an alphabet or pixels from a color
scale). This definition is independent of the specific task or
content. For example, after normalization on optimally
compressed bits we can say things like “a 6 square-cm
newspaper image is worth a 1000 words”, because both
require the same average number of binary yes/no decisions
to resolve the same amount of uncertainty.
Normalization on compression rates is essential for
comparing the informational performance of analog and
digital technologies. It is also indispensable for obtaining
meaningful time series of digital technologies, since more
efficient compression algorithms enable us to handle more
information with the same amount of hardware. For example,
we estimate that a hard disk with a hardware performance of
1 MB for video storage was holding the equivalent of 1
optimally compressed MB in 2007 (“optimally compressed”
with MPEG-4), but only 0.45 optimally compressed MB in
2000 (compressed with MPEG-1), 0.33 in 1993 (compressed
with cinepack) and merely 0.017 optimally compressed MB
in 1986 (supposing that no compression algorithms were
used). Given that statistics on the most commonly used
compression algorithms are scarce, we limited our
estimations of information storage and communication to the
years 1986, 1993, 2000 and 2007 (see Supporting Online
Material, 16, B Compression).
Conventionally bits are abbreviated with a small “b” (such
as in kilobits per second: kbps) and bytes (equal to 8 bits)
with a capital “B” (such as in Megabyte: MB). Standard
 on February 16, 2011 www.sciencemag.org Downloaded from

/ www.sciencexpress.org / 10 February 2011 / Page 3 / 10.1126/science.1200970
decimal prefixes are used: kilo (10 3 ), mega (10 6 ), giga (10 9 ),
tera (10 12 ), peta (10 15 ), exa (10 18 ), zetta (10 21 ).
Storage
We estimated how much information could possibly have
been stored by the 12 most widely used families of analog
storage technologies and the 13 most prominent families of
digital memory, from paper-based advertisement to the
memory chips installed on a credit card (Fig. 2). The total
amount of information grew from 2.6 optimally compressed
exabytes in 1986, to 15.8 in 1993, over 54.5 in 2000, to 295
optimally compressed exabytes in 2007. This is equivalent to
less than one 730 MB CD-ROM per person in 1986 (539 MB
per person), roughly 4 CD-ROM per person of 1993, 12 in
the year 2000 and almost 61 CD-ROM per person in 2007.
Piling up the imagined 404 billion CD-ROM from 2007
would create a stack from the earth to the moon and a quarter
of this distance beyond (with 1.2 mm thickness per CD).
Our estimate is significantly larger than the previously
cited hardware estimate from IDC for the same year (14)
(IDC estimates 264 exabytes of digital hardware, not
normalized for compression, while we count 276 optimally
compressed exabytes on digital devices, which occupy 363
exabytes of digital hardware). While our study is more
comprehensive, we are not in a position to fully analyze all
differences, since IDC’s methodological assumptions and
statistics are based on inaccessible and proprietary company
sources.
Before the digital revolution, the amount of stored
information was dominated by the bits stored in analog
videotapes, such as VHS cassettes (Fig. 2). In 1986, vinyl
Long-Play records still made up a significant part (14%), as
did analog audio cassettes (12%) and photography (5% and
8%). It was not until the year 2000 that digital storage made a
significant contribution to our technological memory,
contributing 25% of the total in 2000. Hard disks make up the
lion share of storage in 2007 (52% in total),optical storage
contributed more than a quarter (28%) and digital tape
roughly 11%. Paper-based storage solutions captured a
decreasing share of the total (0.33% in 1986 and 0.007% in
2007), even though their capacity was steadily increasing in
absolute terms (from 8.7 to 19.4 optimally compressed
petabytes).
Communication
We divided the world’s technological communication
capacity into two broad groups: one includes technological
systems that provide only unidirectional downstream capacity
to diffuse information (referred to as broadcasting), and one
provides bidirectional upstream and downstream channels
(telecommunication). The ongoing technological convergence
between broadcasting and telecommunication is blurring this
distinction, as exemplified by the case of digital TV, which
we counted as broadcasting, even though it incorporates a
small, but existent upstream channel (e.g. video-on-demand).
The inventories of Figs. 3 and 4 account for only those bits
that are actually communicated. In the case of
telecommunication, the sum of the effective usages of all
users is quite similar to the total installed capacity (any
difference represents an over- or future investment). This is
because most backbone networks are shared and only used
sporadically by an individual user. If all users demanded their
promised bandwidth simultaneously, the network would
collapse. This is not the case for individual broadcast
subscribers, who could continuously receive incoming
information. To meaningfully compare the carrying capacities
of each, we applied effective consumption rates to the
installed capacity of broadcasting (calling it the effective
capacity). This reduced the installed capacity by a stable
factor (by 9 in 1986; 9.1 in 1993; 8.7 in 2000; and 8.4 in
2007), implying an average individual broadcast consumption
of roughly 2 hours and 45 minutes per 24 hours. It did not
significantly change the relative distribution of the diverse
technologies (Fig. 3).
Fig. 3 displays the capacity of 6 analog and 5 digital
broadcast technologies, including newspapers and personal
navigation devices (GPS). In 1986, the world’s technological
receivers picked up around 432 exabytes of optimally
compressed information, 715 in 1993, 1.2 optimally
compressed zettabytes in 2000 and 1.9 in 2007. Cable and
satellite TV steadily gained importance but analog, “over-the-
air,” terrestrial television still dominated the evolutionary
trajectory. Digital satellite television led the pack into the
digital age, receiving 50% of all digital broadcast signals in
2007. Only a quarter of all broadcasting information was in
digital format in 2007. The share of radio declined gradually
from 7.2% in 1986 to 2.2% in 2007.
Fig. 4 presents effective capacity of the 3 most common
bidirectional analog telecommunication technologies and
their 4 most prominent digital heirs. The 281 petabytes of
optimally compressed information from 1986 were
overwhelmingly dominated by fixed line telephony, whereas
postal letters contributed only 0.34%. The year 1993 was
characterized by the digitization of the fixed phone network
(471 optimally compressed petabytes). We estimate the year
1990 to be the turning point from analog to digital
supremacy. The Internet revolution began shortly after the
year 2000. In only 7 years, the introduction of broadband
Internet effectively multiplied the world’s telecommunication
capacity by a factor of 29, from 2.2 optimally compressed
exabytes in 2000, to 65 in 2007. The most widespread
telecommunication technology was the mobile phone, with
3.4 billion devices in 2007 (versus 1.2 billion fixed line
phones and 0.6 billion Internet subscriptions). Nevertheless,
the fixed-line phone is still the solution of choice for voice
 on February 16, 2011 www.sciencemag.org Downloaded from

/ www.sciencexpress.org / 10 February 2011 / Page 4 / 10.1126/science.1200970
communication (1.5% of the total). The mobile phone
network became increasingly dominated by data traffic in
2007 (1.1% for mobile data versus 0.8% for mobile voice).
When compared withbroadcasting, telecommunications
makes a modest, but rapidly growing part of the global
communications landscape (3.3% of their sum in 2007, up
from 0.07% in 1986). Althoughthere are only 8% more
broadcast devices in the world than telecommunication
equipment (6.66 billion vs. 6.15 billion in 2007), the average
broadcasting device communicates 27 times more
information per day than the average telecommunications
gadget. This result might be unexpected, especially
considering the omnipresence of the Internet, but can be
understood when considering that an average Internet
subscription effectively uses its full bandwidth for only
around 9 minutes per day (during an average 1 hour and 36
minutes daily session).
Computation
>From a theoretical standpoint, a “computation” is the
repeated transmission of information through space
(communication) and time (storage), guided by an
algorithmic procedure (31). The problem is that the applied
algorithmic procedure influences the overall performance of a
computer, both in terms of hardware design and in terms of
the contributions of software. As a result, the theoretical,
methodological, and statistical bases for our estimates for
computation are less solid than the ones for storage and
communication. In contrast to Shannon’s bit (29, 30), there is
no generally accepted theory that provides us with an ultimate
performance measure for computers. There are several ways
to measure computational hardware performance. We chose
MIPS (Million or Mega Instructions Per Second) as our
hardware performance metric, which was imposed upon us by
the reality of available statistics. Regarding the contributions
of software, it would theoretically be possible to normalize
the resulting hardware capacity for algorithmic efficiency
(such as measured by O-notation) (32). This would recognize
the constant progress of algorithms, which continuously make
more efficient use of existing hardware. However, the
weighted contribution of each algorithm would require
statistics on respective execution intensities of diverse
algorithms on different computational devices. We are not
aware of such statistics. As a result of these limitations, our
estimates refer to the installed hardware capacity of
computers.
We distinguished between two broad groups of computers.
The first group includes all computers whose functionality is
directly guided by their human users. We call this group
“general-purpose computers” and include 6 technological
families (Fig. 5). The second group carries out automated
computations that are incidental to the primary task, such as
in electronic appliances or visual interfaces. The user may
have a range of predefined choices regarding their
functionality, butcannot change the automated logic of these
embedded systems. We call this group “application-specific
computers”.
Although general-purpose computers are also equipped
with application-specific parts (mobile phones come with
digital signal processors, and PCs contain microcontroller
units, etc.), we only include the capacity of humanly guidable
microprocessors in the respective inventory. The calculator
laid the cornerstone for modern microprocessors and was still
the dominant way to compute information in 1986 (41% of
3.0x 10 8 general-purpose -MIPS). The landscape changed
quickly during the early 1990s, as personal computers and
servers and mainframe computers pushed the evolutionary
trajectory to 4.4 x 10 9 -MIPS. The personal computer
extended its dominance during the year 2000 (86% of a total
of 2.9 10 11 -MIPS), to be rivaled in 2007 by videogame
consoles (1.6 x 10 12  MIPS or 25% of the total of 6.4 x 10 12
MIPS) and increasingly relevant mobile phones (3.7 x 10 11
MIPS or 6% of the 2007 total). Nowadays, clusters of
videogame consoles are occasionally used as supercomputer
substitutes for scientific purposes and other data intensive
computational tasks (33). The relatively small role of
supercomputers (less than 0.5% throughout) and professional
servers and mainframes might come as a surprise. It can
partially be explained by the fact that the inventory of Fig. 5
presents the installed capacity, independent of effective usage
rates. We also carried out some estimations based on the
effective gross usage of the computers, which considers the
time users interact with computers (not the net computational
time). As a result we get between 5.8% and 9.1% of the
installed capacity (16, table SA4). The share of servers and
mainframes grows to 89% in 1986 and 11% in 2007, and
supercomputers contribute 4% to the effective capacity in
2007.
The data also allows us to look at respective growth rates.
Until the early 1990s, the annual growth rate was quite stable,
at roughly 40% (Fig. 6). The 1990s show outstanding growth,
reaching a peak of 88% in 1998. Since then, the technological
progress has slowed. In recent times, every new year allows
humankind to carry out roughly 60% of the computations that
could have possibly been executed by all existing general-
purpose computers before that year.
Our inventory of application-specific computations is the
least complete one. The entire group of application-specific
computers is very large and diverse (for example, dice cups
and roulette wheels are application-specific, analog, random
number generators) and it is often not straightforward to
translate their performance into MIPS. The main goal of our
inventory of this group was to show that the computational
hardware capacity of application-specific computers is larger
than the computational capacity of general-purpose
 on February 16, 2011 www.sciencemag.org Downloaded from

/ www.sciencexpress.org / 10 February 2011 / Page 5 / 10.1126/science.1200970
computers (16) (table SA3). To achieve this we focused on a
sample that includes three prominent groups: digital signal
processors (DSP), which translate between analog and digital
signals (including CD, DVD and PVR devices, cameras and
camcorders, modems and setup boxes, GPS, portable media,
printer and fax, radio, fixed and mobile phones);
microcontrollers (MCU) (which regulate electronics and
appliances); and graphic processing units (GPU) (an
increasingly powerful microprocessor for visual displays).
Although microcontrollers dominated our sample of
application-specific computing support in 1986 (90% of the
4.3 x 10 8  application-specific MIPS from our sample), graphic
processing units clearly made up the lion share in 2007 (97%
of 1.9 x 10 14 MIPS).
Comparisons and growth rates
The world’s technological capacity to compute
information has by far experienced the highest growth (Table
1). The per capita capacity of our sample of application-
specific machine mediators grew with a compound annual
growth rate of 83% between 1986 and 2007 and humanly
guided general-purpose computers grew at58% per year. The
world’s technological capacity to telecommunicate only grew
half as fast (CAGR of 28%). This might seem a little
surprising, as the advancement of telecommunications, and
especially the Internet, is often celebrated as the epitome of
the digital revolution. The results from Table 1 challenge this
idea and move the world’sability to compute information into
the spotlight. The storage of information in vast technological
memories has experienced a growth rate almost similar to
telecommunication (CAGR of 23% per capita over two
decades). The lower growth rate results from the relatively
high base level provided by prevalent analog storage devices.
The main characteristic of the storage trajectory is the
digitalization of previously analog information (from 0.8%
digital in 1986 to 94% in 2007). The global capacity to
broadcast information has experienced the least progress, at
6% CAGR per capita. Broadcasting is also the only
information operation that is still dominated by analog ICT.
As a result, the capacity to store information has grown at a
much faster rate than the combined growth rate of tele- and
broadcast communication. In 1986 it would have been
possible to fill the global storage capacity with the help of all
effectively used communication technologies in roughly 2.2
days (539/241.16). In 1993 it would have taken almost 8
days, in the year 2000 roughly 2.5 weeks, and in 2007 almost
8 weeks.
The compound annual growth rates represent the temporal
average of periods which were experiencing different patterns
of technological change. General-purpose computation had its
peak growth around the turn of the millennia (Fig. 6).Storage
capacity slowed down around the year 2000, but accelerated
growth has been occurring in recent years (CAGR of 27% for
1986-1993, 18% for 1993-2000 and 26% for 2000-2007;
Table 1). The introduction of broadband has led to a
continuous acceleration of t telecommunication (CAGR of
6% for 1986-1993, 23% for 1993-2000 and 60% for 2000-
2007; Table 1), whereasbroadcasting had a relatively stable
rate of change (CAGRs of 5.7%, 5.6% and 6.1% for 1986-
1993, 1993-2000 and 2000-2007, respectively; Table 1).
The growth rates also allow us to look at the application of
Moore’s laws (34) for the technological information
processing capacity of humankind. Machines’ application-
specific capacity to compute information per capita has
roughly doubled every 14 months over the past decades in our
sample, while the per capita capacity of the world’s general-
purpose computers has doubled every 18 months. The global
telecommunication capacity per capita doubled every 34
months, while the world’s storage capacity per capita
required roughly 40 months. Per capita broadcast information
has doubled roughly every 12.3 years. Of course, such
averages disguise the varying nature of technological
innovation avenues (35).
Perspectives
To put our findings in perspective, the 6.4*10 18
instructions per second that human kind can carry out on its
general-purpose computers in 2007 are in the same ballpark
area as the maximum number of nerve impulses executed by
one human brain per second (10 17 ) (36). The 2.4*10 21  bits
stored by humanity in all of its technological devices in 2007
is approaching order of magnitude of the roughly 10 23  bits
stored in the DNA of a human adult (37), but it is still
minuscule compared to the 10 90  bits stored in the observable
universe (38). However, in contrast to natural information
processing, the world’s technological information processing
capacities are quickly growing at clearly exponential rates.
References and Notes
1. M. Castells, Volume III (Wiley-Blackwell, 2000).
2. D. Bell (Basic Books, 1976).
3. M.U. Porat, (National Science Foundation, Washington,
DC, 1977).
4. Y. Masuda (Transaction Publishers, 1980).
5. C. Perez, Futures 15, 357 (1983).
6. T. Forester (The MIT Press, 1985).
7. C. Freeman, F. Louçã (Oxford Univ. Press, USA, 2002).
8. M. Castells, Volume I (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009).
9. E. Brynjolfsson, A. Saunders, (The MIT Press, 2009).
10. Y. Ito, Mass Communication Review Yearbook, 2, 671
(1981).
11. I.D.S. Pool, Science 221, 609 (1983).
12. M. Lesk, lesk.com/mlesk (1997).
13. P. Lyman, H. Varian (University of California, Berkeley,
2003).
14. J. Gantz, et al. (International Data Corporation, 2008).
 on February 16, 2011 www.sciencemag.org Downloaded from

/ www.sciencexpress.org / 10 February 2011 / Page 6 / 10.1126/science.1200970
15. R. Bohn, J. Short (University of California, San Diego,
2009).
16. Materials and methods are available as supporting
material on Science Online.
17. International Telecommunication Union, United Nations
ICT Indicators Database (2010).
18. Faostat, United Nations ForesSTAT (2010).
19. Universal Postal Union, United Nations Postal Statistics
(2007).
20. International Federation of the Phonographic Industry
(1995-2004).
21. Japanese Recording-Media Industries Association (2007).
22. TOP500, Supercomputers (2009).
23. J. Porter, disktrend.com (2005).
24. R. Longbottom, roylongbottom.org.uk (2006).
25. J. McCallum, The computer engineering handbook, 136
(2006).
26. T. Coughlin (Coughlin Associates, 2007).
27. Morgan Stanley (2006).
28. International Data Corporation (IDC) (2008).
29. C. A. Shannon, Bell. Syst. Tech. J. 27, 379-423, 623
(1948).
30. T.M. Cover, J.A. Thomas (Wiley-Interscience, ed. 2,
2006).
31. A.M. Turing, Proc. of the London Math. Soc. s2-42, 230
(1937).
32. T. Cormen, C. Leiserson, R. Rivest & C. Stein (McGraw-
Hill Science/Engineering/Math, 2003).
33. B. Gardiner, Wired Magazine Tech Biz IT, 10.17.07
(2007).
34. Moore's law measures technological progress of computer
performance by counting the numbers of transistors on an
integrated circuit, which has approximately doubled every
two years since the 1960s. G.E. Moore. Proc. of SPIE, 2-
17 (1995).
35. D. Sahal, Research Policy 14, 61 (1985).
36. Assuming 100 billion neurons * 1,000 connections per
neuron * max 1,000 nerve impulses per second.
37. Considering a quaternary DNA alphabet, in which each
base pair can store 4 bits * 3 billion DNA base pairs per
human cell * 60 trillion cells per adult human .
38. S. Lloyd. Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 237901 (2002).
39. We would like to thank the Information Society Program
of United Nations ECLAC (in Chile) for its support, Tom
Coughlin, John McCallum, Don Franz, Miguel Gonzalez,
Cristian Vasquez, Len Adleman, Manuel Castells and the
statisticians from UPU (Universal Post Union) and ITU
(International Telecommunications Union), as well as
numerous colleagues who motivated us by doubting the
feasibility of this undertaking.

Supporting Online Material
www.sciencemag.org/cgi/contebt/full/science.1200970/DC1
Materials and Methods
Figs. A1 to E12
Tables SA1 to SE24
References and Notes
29 November 2010; accepted 1 February 2011
Published online 10 February 2011; 10.1126/science.1200970
Fig. 1. The three basic information operations and theirmost
prominent technologies.
Fig. 2. World’s technological installed capacity to store
information. Based on Supporting Online Material (16) Table
SA1.
Fig. 3. World’s technological effective capacity to broadcast
information, in optimally compressed Megabytes (MB) per
year, for 1986, 1993, 2000 and 2007, semi-logarithmic plot.
Based on Supporting Online Material (16) Table SA2.
Fig. 4. World’s technological effective capacity to
telecommunicate information, Based on Supporting Online
Material (16) Table SA2.
Fig. 5. World’s technological installed capacity to compute
information on general-purpose computers, in millions
instructions per second (MIPS), Based on Supporting Online
Material (16) Table SA3.
Fig. 6. Annual growth of installed general-purpose
computational capacity as percentage of all previous
computations since 1977 (yeart / Σ[1977, yeart-1]). Based on
Supporting Online Material (16) Table SA3.