[Beowulf] IBM's Watson on Jeopardy tonight

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Wed Feb 16 00:53:05 PST 2011

> To be tied with a human though i feel means they are on par with humans.

I've always thought that our enthusiasm (or for some, fear) for technology
has clouded our opinion on AI to human parity.  In the case of Deep Blue and
Watson, the system was designed to do one or a small set of operations well,
but they are no where as well rounded and multi-functional as we are.  The
human brain for example:

- processes  input from multiple input sensors and sensor types
- regulates many body functions
- records data in realtime
- retrieves data
- can self-heal
- can adapt to new circumstances

and then there are the higher level functions:

- language
- music
- abstract thinking

And this is all done in a space that is a fraction of the size of Watson or
Deep Blue.

I'd be quiet interested in working on a project that actually tried
integrate all of those functions together.  That would be fun!