[Beowulf] dollars-per-teraflop : any lists like the Top500?

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Jun 30 06:38:04 PDT 2010

> I'm speculating, one reason could be that sites are loath to disclose
> their exact $ purchase prices etc. But on the other hand for most of
> the publicly owned  systems this should be accessible information
> anyways. I was just thinking that this might be an interesting
> parameter to track. I was also curious as to when systems become
> larger is there an economy of scale in the Beowulf world? i.e. for
> something like Jaguar or Kraken is the $/teraflop much lower than what
> it is for my tiny 100-node system. Another question could be: Is it
> cheaper to assemble 100 Teraflops of capacity in the US or WU or China

I don't think you'll find that information anywhere readily.
Also consider the difference between peak HPL flops rating and the
useful work you
will get out of a system.
Sticking my neck out slightly here, systems with lots of GPUs will score
highly on
the $$/flop ratings - but do you get that amount of work under
real-world loads?

John Hearns

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.