[Beowulf] Scale modl Cray-1

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:59:22 PDT 2010

David N. Lombard wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 07:02:09PM -0700, Gus Correa wrote:
>> Thank you all who responded:
>> Larry Stewart, David Lombard, Franklin Jones,
>> Douglas Guptill, Thomasz Rolla, Jim Lux.
>>
>> Glad to see that many of you had not only thought of this,
>> but actually implemented simulators for many outstanding computers.
>>
>> I compiled SIMH.
>>
>> However, I suppose I need to load software to actually simulate
>> each computer (Assembler? OS? other more specific sw?), correct?
>>
>> If yes, is this software available, and where?
>
> The 1130 sw is available from ibm1130.org
> <http://ibm1130.org/sim/downloads>.
>
> I expect that type of software will usually only be available from
> the people and projects that are interested in the simulated system.
>
>> Any documentation on how to run them?
>
> The 1130 sw is sufficiently documented to run it.  I've run it--and
> as expected--it *does* run faster than the original hw.

There was a project to emulate the YMP, but it looks fairly dead. Also,
there's a project to emulate CDC6400 hardware.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~tom-hunter/

It may not be the same as having your own emulated machine to play with,
but you can play around with real iron at Cray Cyber.

http://www.cray-cyber.org/access/index.php

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs