[Beowulf] Not sure if people have seen it yet, but 2TB disks from Western Digital appear to be in the wild ...

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 09:43:00 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> wrote:
> Have had some first hand experience with 1.5TB drives.  I'll not go down
> that path again for some time.  Seagate didn't yet gifure out how to make
> them reliable.
>
> Has anyone yet played with the WD 2TB drives or are they still in the
> Marketing/Vaporware stage?

Not sure they're available for purchase yet, but hothardware has a
preview of a pre-release engineering sample:
http://hothardware.com/News/WD-2TB-Caviar-Green-Monster-Drive-Preview/

Interesting thing is that this presumably 5400rpm drives outperforms
its 7200rpm counterparts. And it's green too. :)

Cheers,
--
Kilian