[Beowulf] Not sure if people have seen it yet, but 2TB disks from Western Digital appear to be in the wild ...

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Jan 27 06:38:55 PST 2009

... of course this means that JackRabbits could hit 96TB in 5U
(mwahahaha!).  Delta-V's with 48TB in 4U (front mounted).

The difficult thing would be time to read all of the data on these
devices.  It looks like we are building a bandwidth wall to hide behind
here ... at 100 MB/s read, 1GB in 10 seconds, 1 TB in 10,000 seconds, so
20,000 seconds to read this device.  Thats about 1/4 of a day.

Thanks to Andrew Latham for pointing this out to me last night.  The
link was
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/26/western-digitals-2tb-caviar-green-hdd-on-sale-in-australia/

and I put a short note up on my blog (http://scalability.org/?p=1187) on
this.

Hopefully we will get to play with these very soon.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com