[Beowulf] Re: What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 14:09:08 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 05:39:23PM +0100, Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2009 21:37:23 David Mathog wrote:
> > The uber-pile is a bit of a straw man.  I'm pretty sure that a 40U stack
> > of (typical) 1U or 2U servers would squish the one(s) on the bottom,
>
> Absolutely. At Stanford, I took part in decommissioning a cluster the one I
> administered replaced, and the old 1U servers were recovered by the
> manufacturer. Part of the specification for the recovery was to store those 1U
> servers in pile no more than 5 high, to avoid damages on the lower ones in the
> piles.
> At about 35lbs a rack, it's a lot of weight to put on a single server when you
> pile 40 of those up...
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Kilian

Sparc 2's and 10's and 20's - I once had three piles, each about 20 high
stacked in an airconditioning/pipework room (since the building had run
out of storage). Fortunately, they were centred on the single tile that each
pile stood on and each pile was leaning against the room wall.

Manager comes in, looks despairingly at the neat piles and says quietly

"You do realise you're almost certainly exceeding the point loading of
the floor"

and walks out :)

AndyC