[Beowulf] Re: What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 08:39:23 PST 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009 21:37:23 David Mathog wrote:
> The uber-pile is a bit of a straw man.  I'm pretty sure that a 40U stack
> of (typical) 1U or 2U servers would squish the one(s) on the bottom,

Absolutely. At Stanford, I took part in decommissioning a cluster the one I
administered replaced, and the old 1U servers were recovered by the
manufacturer. Part of the specification for the recovery was to store those 1U
servers in pile no more than 5 high, to avoid damages on the lower ones in the
piles.
At about 35lbs a rack, it's a lot of weight to put on a single server when you
pile 40 of those up...

Cheers,
--
Kilian