[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 16:11:05 PDT 2009

>> So, to get back to the original discussion, SGI disappearing from the
>> landscape means one less option to choose from.
>
> You think SGI designed the hardware for their non-shared-memory
> clusters?  I don't thnk so.
>
> -- greg

No, SGI use supermicro.  But that isn't really the point.  They did
design their own shared memory systems and they will be sorely missed
if they are not continued.  We were really looking forward to a large
shared memory x86 system.  Hopefully it still eventuates.

Having just purchased a heap of nehalem systems from SGI, the one
thing we love about them is their fleet-of-foot.  I can ask SGI for a
quote, they understand what I want and get back to me within a day, no
stuffing around.  I ask Sun/IBM/HP for the same quote, 2 weeks later,
6 or 7 phone calls, 3 visits I still don't have a quote.  Once they
get it in, it is, without doubt, considerably more expensive and we
have usually placed a PO with SGI 2 weeks prior.