[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Jan Heichler jan.heichler at gmx.net
Thu Apr 2 09:58:12 PDT 2009

Hallo Greg,

Donnerstag, 2. April 2009, meintest Du:

GL> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:32:22AM +0200, Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:

>> Anyway, I was thinking about companies like Penguin or Scalable, designing
>> their own hardware products, like Relions or JackRabbits, and not just
>> reselling Supermicro boxes. Unless I'm mistaken on the fact that those systems
>> are somewhat different from off-the-shelf boxes.

GL> You would be mistaken. I can't name the Relion by eye, but there are a
GL> ton of people selling the 48-disk building block that is Sun's
GL> Thumper, which seems to be the chassis is of the JackRabbit. Sun
GL> bought the hardware from someone else, and the deal wasn't
GL> exclusive. Now there are probably multiple manufacturers.

>> So, to get back to the original discussion, SGI disappearing from the
>> landscape means one less option to choose from.

GL> You think SGI designed the hardware for their non-shared-memory
GL> clusters?  I don't thnk so.

SGI was reselling the SuperMicro Twin as a ClusterSolution... and so do many other "vendors" (Bull for example)... but why should one convince the customer that it is a "Bull NovaScale R422" or a "SGI Altix XE340" when it is in fact the same SuperMicro Hardware everybody else is selling? It is just to make marketing... i doubt that their hardware is any better than the parts you can get from Supermicro directly...

Jan