[Beowulf] A simple cluster

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Jun 27 10:50:10 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 05:08:51PM +0100, Kozin, I (Igor) wrote:

> And it looks to me that a many-core is more akin to an accelerator than
> to a processor in that a new programming approach is required.
> I'm afraid we cannot get away in the long run by using only MPI.

Many-core chips that look like a big x86 SMP don't look anything like
a GPU. With the addition of a few commuications primitives, MPI
will run even better on big x86 SMPs. All of the programming
approaches for GPUs and Clearspeed and historical array processors
are yucky compared to "high level language + MPI".

-- greg