[Beowulf] Again about NUMA (numactl and taskset)

Carlos Segura carlossegurag at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 05:34:24 PDT 2008

>In my experience, real applications as well, things like nwchem for
instance.  Granted the difference (at least in the past) was much >larger
for g77 vs commercial fortran than it was for gcc/g++ vs commercial c
compilers.  I've
>heard gfortran has gotten much better and I've even occasionally seen SPEC
>numbers for GNU compilers which looked encouraging.  In any case I've often
seen commercial compilers justified on a pure cost/benefit >basis.  I.e. $1k
on compilers gets me more performance than another $1k on hardware.

Some benchmarks about fortran compilers can be found on
http://www.polyhedron.com/pb05-linux-f90bench_p40html
The intel compiler have very good results. I also think that in the case of
fortran compilers there is more difference that in the case of C compilers,
although I haven`t seen comparissons of C compilers lately.

Carlos